Sunday, January 18, 2009

Pluto Reflections

Jan18th chart


Mercury is retrograde in Aquarius right now which means I am actually getting a chance to catch up on some things like reading astroblogs and submissions for the Astrology Carnival (the next edition is coming soon. There are a lot of submissions this time so it'll be a good one). I just read April's post about Pluto's last day in Sagittarius, where she asks, "How are you different now than you were thirteen years ago? And how has Pluto in Sagittarius left its mark on you?"

Since Pluto opposed my Sun right before entering Sagittarius (my ascendant), I've spent about half my life in a Pluto transit. And Pluto didn't just transit my ascendant. He also was conjunct Neptune, opposed my Moon and Jupiter, and trined Saturn, Mars, Venus and Eris. How do I sum all that up? Well, I recently finished Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates and I think one of the characters said it best: "Enlightened and endarkened. The ultimate."

The biggest mark Pluto in Sagittarius has left on me is a deep understanding of authentic power. See, Pluto rules the things we give power to, so for most people that's our fears. We give our power over to our fears, because we think this is what will make us invincible to hurt. Then our fears become masks and roles we take on in order to protect and hide the part of ourselves that is most vulnerable to being hurt. These masks and roles can be of great service at times when dealing with day to day stuff. They can also be enormous fun. The problem is when we become too identified with them, especially during, oh, we'll say, a Pluto transit to your ascendant. What Pluto then does is rips off the masks and starts poking you where it hurts the most just because he can. At least until it slowly dawns on you that being vulnerable is not something to protect or hide. At least until your realize there is no such thing as more or less power, or power over, or power sunnyside up. You're either owning your power or giving it away to something outside of you. You're either being your real self or a fake someone else.

I could go on endlessly trying to describe my hard to put into words Plutonian transformation, but basically, I feel like I should be wearing a shirt that says, "Pluto destroyed my ego and he is too a planet."

tags: , ,

3 comments:

juliedemboski said...

Well said, Wendy!

jd

sunnyray said...

Pluto is surely a planet although it has been (formally by astronomers) expelled from the group of planets belonging to our Solar system. Thanks for the interesting post.

Sassy said...

Sorry but Pluto is NOT surely a planet. There had to be a concrete definition to separate the largest bodies from what might be called the flotsam of our solar system, and Pluto clearly did not fit into that definition for several reasons: it doesn't dominate it's own neighborhood - it's only twice the size of it's own moon, whereas other planets are at least several times larger than their moons; Pluto's orbit does not travel on a tidy elliptical around the Sun; when astronomers were categorizing the Solar System in the early 20th century, they simply did not have the same understanding of the Solar System as we do today - Pluto is simply the largest of a series of at least 44 outer rim objects and part of a larger unit called the Kuiper Belt.
I wonder if Pluto would have ever played a role in astrology if it had never been dubbed with the title "planet."